Friday, July 3, 2009

Nazarenes and Infant Baptism



One of the hottest topics up for debate at the 2009 General Assembly was infant baptism (due to resolution MED-523 concerning manual paragraph 800.2).


Those of us unable to attend General Assembly in Orlando watched with baited breath as the debate raged before our eyes.
A college friend noticed my concern to eliminate infant baptism and began to ask really great questions. Her inquisitive spirit pushed me towards putting my thoughts in writing and I thought I would post them here, for my readers to see.


The picture at the top of this post is of my son's baptism. The minister is Rev. Phil Hamner at Overland Park Church of the Nazarene, September 10, 2006. Jayden is a little over three months old.


My friend asked: "Does the Church of the Nazarene (COTN) really believe in infant baptism?"

Such a question caused great excitement for me as I jumped to answering the question. I answered:


"We, as the COTN, do practice infant baptism. My son was baptized as a baby and the minister said something along the lines of, "Do you, as his parents, promise to raise him in the community, so he will learn he is a part of this community through baptism now?”
For the beauty of infant baptism- is it reminds us none of us KNOW enough to be baptized. My little boy did not know enough as a squirming little baby, I did not know enough as a bratty 13 year old, and the ancient old man does not even know enough. It is GOD who makes the covenant with us—drawing us towards the beauty of who we were called to be. As the water is on us, we die to ourselves—with Christ—and when the water is washed away—we rise again with Christ to new life. It is not so much about our level of knowledge as we enter into this community through this sacrament. It is about God.
Since my son was baptized as a little baby and there is no way he can remember it, we celebrate his baptism birthday every year- to remind him he is a part of the community. I usually give him a special gift and have a special dinner- so that as he grows up he will remember his baptism and that he is special. It was the day he entered into the community of faith. He is a part of us- and we are raising him together- to help him learn who he was created to be.

So infant baptism also reminds us, the community of faith, of our responsibility as a community- for our children. It reminds us we are one body- caring for one another, loving one another, and raising up our children to BECOME a different kind of people. A people who work towards the redemption of creation. A people who chose to love (which is very different than the world). A people who show the world who they could be."

Then my friend asked another great question in follow-up. She questioned, "Is that different than when we dedicate children to the church? Do you "sprinkle' water on the baby? I guess I am just curious as to how it is done."


That was a GREAT question. Of course, if you know me, I was thrilled to keep answering an inquisitive mind. I responded:


"Babies are not immersed (normally) because of the physical danger involved for dunking an infant's head. When my son was baptized, water was poured over the back of his head 'in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.' For the COTN affirms sprinkling, pouring, dunking (etc) for baptism. "


And then, several of my theological scholar friends jumped in on the conversation and gave some beautiful points I would like to share next:


Rev. Melissa DeBono added: "In my local church (Nazarene) we baptize infants as the rule and only do dedications for those parents who ask for it. The liturgy is very similar to a dedication liturgy, with the parents and the congregation vowing to support the infant in their discipleship journey. This past spring we ran a confirmation class for a group of teens who had been... Read More baptized as infants and gave them the opportunity to confirm the faith they had been baptized into. (There is Naz. curriculum for this course) I was baptized as an adolescent, and I can look back at key moments of making my faith my own, but really, infant baptism would have better represented my life of faith than randomly choosing some time down the stream of faith to participate in the initiation rite of the Holy catholic Church."


Rev. Jeff Parsons commented: "Infant baptism is supported Scripturally. In 1 Cor. 1:16, Paul states he baptized "the household of Stephanus," with household being a term involving the extended family, including the young children & infants. You can also infer from Acts 10-11 that Peter baptized the entire household of Cornelius. Theologically, it is completely in line with the Church. Read more Wesleyan doctrine of prevenient grace, which declares that the Holy Spirit is at work in one's heart long before they come to accept Christ as savior. Baptism is not ultimately about us; it's about God."


Rev. Mike Fraley then explained: "When people have difficulty understanding infant baptism, I often explain to them about one of the many meanings of baptism. Baptism is not solely about the remission of sins (otherwise Jesus would not have been baptized). It is in part about the initiation into the Church. Obviously, we accept our small children as part of the church community. We baptize them as a symbol of them being recipients of God's grace as they grow to spiritual maturity."


To see an example of infant baptism in the COTN, please see my friend (Rev. David Young's) blog at: http://allthingsnew21.blogspot.com/2008/06/hannahs-baptism.html Dave baptizes his young daughter, Hannah, and shows us the beauty of infant baptism. He also explains why he baptized his young daughter. It is beautiful and I would highly encourage you to read and watch this liturgy of infant baptism.

2 comments:

Billie said...

Excellent! I too watched with angst at the steps our church was taking. I have renewed faith in our leadership and membership! Great article you wrote here. I especially like the quotes about the households baptized!

Christy Gunter said...

Thanks Billie for your comment!

It really is great to have a renewed hope after GA, isn't it?! I can still hear redemption calling- God is drawing all of us towards something beautiful. It's fun to watch it unfold.

-- Christy