Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dr. Bowing's Rescinds Election to GS


I typed as much of the speech as I could for anyone who missed it. You can read it here. Forgive me for the pieces I missed-- but you can see the general message.


_______________________



Dr. Middendorf:


"We always want to be sure, however, to the checks of the Spirit- the direction of the Spirit."

"We as a board-- had an opportunity to think and plan through the day. And we were asked to give attention to a statement we have heard. And we want now for you to hear."

"Dr. John Bowling has asked to address the assembly."

"Will you give your heart-felt attention to his words."

______________________________



Dr. Bowling:


"I was awakened about 3:00 by the Lord."

"I was moved, as you were, when Dr. Duarte was elected."

"Last night when Dr. Graves was elected-- that same feeling was there."

"I however, have been delayed."

"I so much wanted to do what was right. And felt like I did not want to disappoint you or the Lord or anyone."

"I am hereby resending my decision to accept the General Superintendency. I am embarrassed by that- and ask your forgiveness."

"But we serve a God of peace-- and I do not have that peace."


_____________________________


Dr. Middendorf:


"This is the Lord's Church."

"He said-- I will build my church. I am convinced that the Lord still desires to give us his direction, his wisdom."

"We have had a remarkable GA. We have sensed the presence of the Spirit. We have seen things occur that have been historic in proportion. This 27th GA is one to never be forgotten."

"God having spoken to Dr. Bowling-- and feeling very clearly this is the mind of God for him-- God has a mind for us as well. We rest in that. We are confident in that. And so we believe it is our responsibility to move immediately into the process of electing a 38th."

"In checking with our parliamentarian- it is appropriate to accept the decision of Dr. Bowling-- and then move."

"But we would like to ask the church, the delegation, to begin this process in prayer."

"I ask that all the delegation-- from each world region-- each district-- to gather. We want to spend the next few minutes praying together- and seeking together, the peace of God. And then seeking the mind of God. I don't think there's any panic in heaven. Let's rest in him. Let's move forward with conviction that God will make known to us, his mind."

"May I ask now- the delegations gather- and we will spend some time in prayer."

_____________________


And let me add: My respectometer just went sky-rocket high. For Dr. Bowling to humble himself THAT much to give up his position, to take on embarrassment and humiliation-- and listen to God-- that takes some spiritual guts. And I'm proud-- to be a part of a church where our leaders are vulnerable for a purpose.


No comments: