Friday, April 3, 2009

Prayers of a Priest and a Female Pastor


I tend not to write many blog posts in the "I" form (I think, I feel, I saw). However, today I will make an exception; because I want to tell my story of being a part of a group in my area called the "Wichita Ecumenical Christian Prayer Group." We meet once a month- Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox to pray together and celebrate what we hold in common.


Today we met at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (which may be the most beautiful church this side of Europe). The floors are made of marble with multiple domes reaching towards the heavens.


As we all prayed together (both Protestant spontaneous prayers, Catholic written prayers, and even chanting) I was aware there was a priest sitting next to me. I grinned.


Following our prayer time I leaned to him and said, "I think God is smiling with a Catholic Priest and female pastor praying beside one another." He grinned right back and we began a conversation. We might as well have taken off our shoes-- because I am quite confident the place we were standing was holy ground.


As we talked this dear man looked at me in my eyes-- affirming me; regardless of my gender and label. I looked right back at him in the eyes-- believing in him while seeing him as the personal presence of Christ to me in those moments; regardless of his assignment or title.


I walked away from my time with the Father renewed, affirmed, and confident. I can promise you that when we wipe away the lines of division among us- beautiful, holy moments are born; restoration blossoms, recreation becomes visible, and redemption becomes as close as your very breath.


I was asked to lead one of the "Pastor Led Extemporaneous Prayers" and since I am a writer first, my heart is connected to my hand; rather than my mouth. So I sketched my prayer out on paper before I arrived. It is posted below. I hope those who read this prayer can find words to speak their heart this Lenten season.



* * * * *


Lord of all we are and ever hope to be--


We come before you; asking you to

purify our hearts.

Create in us a clean heart- and remove our heart of stone.


Take away our unjust anger. Take away our fears.

Take away all that is not pure within us.


We submit our lives-

all of who we REALLY are

and all we REALLY think to you.


May the very beat of our hearts be for you only.

May each breath we take be accompanied

by thoughts and actions that honor you.


For what we all must remember-- is who we really are.

Beneath our righteous and holy facade is our selfishness,

our sinfulness, our extreme need for your grace.


Some of us choose to admit this-- depending on you to redeem us.

God, grant us the desire to allow you to help us be vulnerable,

allowing you to enable us to become

who we were created, by you, to be.


And for those of us caught up in faking our greatness

and self-confidence; forgive us.

We are a people who enjoy condemning others

and keeping a record of their wrongs

...if only to feel better about ourselves.


God, forgive us.


Grant us the grace, mercy, and GUTS to be

those who are honest, humble, and recreated by you.


Create in us a clean heart and remove our heart of stone-

so that we can proclaim together:


I choose to be a follower of Jesus Christ

...even when I feel betrayed, scorned, and humiliated.


I choose to speak the truth in love

...even when my voice shakes.


I choose to put God's Church, God's Kingdom,

and God's plans for the redemption of creation before myself

...even when I want to spew out justice to establish

my own self-worth and status.


I choose to act in a way that is entirely not my own

and can only be Christ working through me

for God's redemptive purposes.


Amen.


2 comments:

~Valerie said...

The entire experience was amazing, honestly, but the time that you spend talking with your friend, the priest, was beautiful as I watched from a short distance. Thank you for inviting me to go with you. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great experience. God will have many more for you as the future unfolds. Thanks for sharing.