Friday, June 27, 2008

Cannot Live on Bread Alone


For the last few nights, at my 2 year old's request, I put my son to bed with his Bible. What mother (especially one who is also a pastor) could ever tell her son he could not read about Jesus before bed? Apparently I should. I walked in his room tonight to make sure he had his blanket and found he had chowed down on every Word that came from the mouth of God.
I had THE hardest time punishing him. I kept laughing as I said things like, "Son, I know Jesus said we can't live on bread alone, but that didn't mean we eat the Word." And at one point (since he loves to point out Jesus in the pages) I coughed out between laughter, "Son, we CANT eat Jesus" and proceeded to give him a theological dissertation on the Eucharist and transubstation.
...This ought to make a great sermon illustration when he's about 16 years old.

3 comments:

~Valerie said...

Hehe...you have yourself an adorable little man! He reminds me a lot of Matt when he was little. :-)

Eagle River Church of the Nazarene said...

Well, God did command Ezekiel to 'eat the scroll' and the angel told John to also 'eat the scroll.' Maybe your son had a similar religious experience. When you get a change, ask him how it tasted. If it was sweet in the mouth and sour in the stomach, you may want to take note of what part of the book he ate!!!!

Eagle River Church of the Nazarene said...

You know, God told Ezekiel to eat the scroll. An angel told John to do so. May want to ask your son if someone told him to eat the book. IF he tells you that it tasted sweet in the mouth but bitter in the stomach, you may want to take note of which part of the bible he was eating!!!! ;-)
How is that for a little preacher humor?