Sunday, June 7, 2009

Redemption Is Calling


I am enjoying my time of sabbatical; taking time to stop and rest. When things are going fast and at the speed of light we tend to see the trauma and trash over the renewal and restoration. So I thought I would take some time to share and reveal the moments I am seeing God's plan for the redemption of creation these days.


I am seeing God in the ordinary; in the moments of life we pass through everyday.


I see God's renewal of all things in the beauty from the trash (see the picture above). While we were visiting a strawberry patch I noticed a pile of pipes and trash near the field. It struck me as beautiful; even though it is a stack of unwanted trash. And I realized as I snapped the picture, sometimes the ugliest moments of life are at work revealing the beauty of renewal.

I see the vibrance of redemption in the roses out in front of the house. It was raining one day; pouring down in buckets. We opened up the door and watched the storm crash around us. But when the wind grew quiet and the drops stopped falling the roses and their stems were covered with dew looking drops, sparkling under the sun's rays. It was beautiful even when they were drenched and wilting from the pressure of the storm's heavy drops.


I also hear the symphony of renewal in the songs I keep hearing; secular and Christian. The song, "East to West" by Casting Crowns has a verse that says something like: "I'm not holding onto God; God is holding onto me." That's deeply reassuring. Starfield sings a song "Everything is Beautiful" where it says "Sometimes grace reminds me I don't get to be the King. I'm like a bird with clipped wings but I hear redemption calling; even when the tears are falling and everything is crashing. I can hear redemption calling-- everything is beautiful to me." I could not say it any better myself. And finally, for a little John Mayer: "I'm bigger and stronger than my body gives me credit for!" Ha. We all need to hear this; we are all stronger than our fragile, breakable bodies sometimes indicate.


This sabbatical is teaching me: God is at work in the redemption and renewal of all things; especially some of the painful and damaging things we experience. Sin might devastate, destroy, and divide but God's action in creation is to restore, redeem, and reconcile.


It is my prayer that all those who read this blog post will be given the eyes to see God's beautiful painting of restoration before their eyes and hear redemption's calling. Because everything is beautiful; even when the tears are falling.

2 comments:

~Valerie said...

It struck me as beautiful; even though it is a stack of unwanted trash.

I have been watching a homeless man for several weeks now. I noticed him one day, crossing the street in front of us as we waited for a red light. He was wearing a polyester suit. The pants were too short, allowing his white socks to peak out. His tennis shoes, I believe, fasten with velcro. He's a thin man, hair a dull grey. Most notable was his limp. He walks with a severe limp, with his hand on his side, near his back. He hurts. The pain is evident in his stride.

At first sight, the temptation is to laugh. Maybe to comment on his "high water" pants. To make note, aloud, of his 'awesome' white cotton socks. To notice the limp (the one that doesn't seem to slow him down much) and think that he's somehow defective, not whole. Trash, really. Soceity's trash.

I admit to a couple of those thoughts myself, but quickly, I'm reminded of his beauty. Our creator molded this man. Formed him. Formed him in the image of God. Beautiful. Awesome. Amazing. Can I look on this man, this man that many in society see as trash, and see our Awesome God?

I can. I do. I've seen this same man two more times. He's easy to recognize. He wears a polyester suit. The pants are too short, allowing his white socks to peak out. His tennis shoes, I believe, fasten with velcro. He's a thin man, hair a dull grey. Most notable is his limp. He walks with a severe limp, with his hand on his side, near his back. I'd recognize him anywhere.

Just last night he was sitting on a bench downtown. I saw him, and I saw God.

God created human beings; he created them godlike Genesis 1:27, The Message

Society's trash, my picture of Jesus.

There is beauty in the trash. We must slow down and recognize it.

Christy Gunter said...

Okay. Let me tell you why I'm so dang impressed with this response, Valerie.

First, you've mastered the art of details. If you can describe it and make me feel like I'm there looking at the man, you did well. And I did feel like I could see him in my mind's eye. I think I could even pick him out when I'm walking down your street.

Second, I'm super impressed because you took the topic of "stuff" (pile of metal pipes, raindrops on roses, etc) and applied it BEYOND that; to people. That's really creative and inspired.

Seeing people as beautiful creations of God over the trash we often want to label them as is a divine gift. Seeing through God's eyes, if you will.

Reminds me of a song... "Give me your eyes for just one second." Well, there you go. Be careful what you asked for; you got it. :)

And finally, I'm really impressed with your response because you speak of the divine image reflected in people. Not only do you have the eyes to see people the way God does; but you see people for who they were created to be. And that's beautiful.

In fact, I see the image of God in you... in your vision of the image of God in them. :)