Monday, October 27, 2008

Prayer at Grandma's 90th Birthday Party




I spent this past week in Martinsville Virginia visiting my parents and celebrating my Grandma's 90th birthday. Since I'm the minister in the family, I was asked to pray before the party began. Since I do not have a sermon to post this week, I wanted to post my prayer for Grandma instead. The first picture was taken this weekend with my son. The second picture was taken in 1942.


10/25/08
Grandma Jacob’s 90th Birthday Party

Dear Lord,

We come before you as gather together to celebrate Ruth Jacobs 90th birthday.

We thank you for who Ruth is, a woman of grace, a person of character, and someone who reflects your light and love.

We thank you that we are able to experience you, through our participation of life with her- for when you are hugged by someone like Ruth Jacobs (someone who acts like Christ’s arms to the world), it is as if we are being hugged by you.

So together, today, Ruth’s family (her biological family, her church family, and our extended family of friends), gather together to celebrate who she is- because of who you are- a God of the grace we see in her.

Thank you for this time to spend with her today. May you bless these moments-- so they would be moments we remember forever with a smile.

Be present in our conversations, our fellowship, our laughter, our reminiscing, and our making of new memories.

Thank you for this food, prepared by hands who love Ruth Jacobs. Bless this food to enable your work to be done through us.

We love you Lord, Amen.

No comments: